{Light at the end of the tunnel}

For those of you who don’t know, I have been working full time this summer at the Emmet O’Neal Library in Mountain Brook, AL.  I worked there a few years ago, before I moved to Connecticut, and absolutely LOVED it.  That job led me to apply to graduate school for Library Science.  Back in the spring, my old boss called me to ask if I might be interested in coming back to work for the summer full-time to help out with Summer Reading.  With wedding plans running through my head and knowing that we had not figured out how we were actually going to LIVE once we moved back to Birmingham, I immediately accepted.  So that’s what I’ve been doing this summer, on top of working my other full time job…making lovely cards and invitations.  But the “getting-up-at-5-to-work-before-work” thing and the “working-as-soon-as-I-get-home-from-work” thing are getting OLD.  But I see the sweet, bright light at the end of the tunnel.

I am officially at the end of my last full week of working at the library for the summer.

Yesterday was a pretty insane day.  I had a HUGE order due and with other orders piled up before that, I had not been able to make much head-way on it before this week.  At 11:30pm Tuesday night, I realized that I was out of materials that I needed to complete the order and it HAD to go out the next day!  I emailed my boss and asked if she would be willing to let me come in at 12 to work a half day instead of coming in at 9.  I knew there was no way I could make it work otherwise.  She graciously allowed me to do that and I woke up early the next morning to get back to work.  However, even with that extra time, I was still rushing around up until 11:45 trying to get everything together and in the midst of my rush, I sliced my thumb on my industrial paper cutter.

All day yesterday, it felt alright, but last night, when I got ready to go to bed, it was THROBBING.  It got so bad that all of my fingers on my right hand felt like they were being hit with tiny electric shocks.  It was rough.  I finally figured out that if I tried to actually LAY down, the throbbing would be worse.  As soon as I sat upright, it got easier to handle.  So I grabbed my pillow and a blanket and made my way to the living room where I attempted to sleep on the armchair.  After a couple of hours, the throbbing was back.  I took more Ibuprofen and grabbed the ice pack.  AHHHHH relief.  I was finally able to go back to sleep at 3:30ish and slept until 7.  And here I am.  Thumb still hurting and getting ready to go to work.  sheesh.


On the up-side, the order was shipped on time and she should be receiving it a day earlier than expected!  Anna for the WIN! 🙂




2 thoughts on “{Light at the end of the tunnel}

  1. bekah braden says:

    I hope you didn’t cause any nerve damage. Drew did that a few weeks ago and hasn’t gained the feeling back yet. If it doesn’t get any better you might want to get it checked out, otherwise it might get infected. Glad you got your order out and know that if I was closer I would have been there to help in a heart beat…that’s what friends are for! Btw…are we still on for lunch on Friday?

    • Oy, I hope so, too! I’m probably going to get it checked out soon. I almost woke Stephen up around 3 to tell him we needed to go get it looked at, but I decided I wanted to tough it out and sleep if I could…which I did. And I needed it.

      And yes. Lunch, pleeeease! How does Cracker Barrel sound?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: